Anyways, lately thinking about my future career and life plans, has got me thinking about my future health and fitness goals and plans. I've dedicated a much larger part of my life to being healthy since November (when I began running), and it has completely transformed my life for the better. I really want to transition that to my working life, and expand it's role in my life even more. I'm a strong believer in setting goals, so here are some of my health and fitness goals for the future:
- Overcome my unhealthy eating habits- I'm probably the most unhealthy eater ever, and I'll admit it. Cheese, carbs, and sugar make up 99.9% of my diet and I eat in mass quantities. About once every month or so I try to diet. I do great, choose healthier foods, and eat smaller portions... for about a week. Then life gets in the way; I have an asthma attack or a major exam stresses me out or it's 104 degrees at work. Whatever the event, something small gets in the way and I make excuses to cheat a little and then cheat some more until I'm not longer dieting again. I know I'll never be the type of girl that eats tofu and carrots everyday and is totally satisfied, but healthier choices and portions are a must.
- Run religiously - When training for races I do my 3 runs every week without fail, but when I don't have something exciting on the calendar, I tend to put it off. I'd like to get to the point where I work out no matter what, and don't drag my feet so much getting to the gym.
- Run in fun places - I treadmill run too much! I need to get past my excuses and get out there and run new trails and routes so that I keep motivation up and have more fun, not to mention challenge my body more.
- Be more adventurous - I like doing fun adventurous and ACTIVE stuff! So I need to quit letting being busy and living in a boring state (sorry Oklahoma but you know it's true) get in the way of that.
- Complete at least 12 races a year - I'm well on my way (10 so far this year) but I don't want that number to shrink once I'm in a full time job and back to school.
- Meet more runners - I'm terrible at meeting people and getting out there. I love meeting new people and hearing about their journeys, but when it comes to group runs etc. I've always shied away because of my slow speeds. That's gotta quit!
- Add in strength training - I don't do any, and I should. Enough said.
- Move every day - I've stuck to 3 days a week of running for almost 8 months except with a short (failed) attempt at a 40 day challenge for about a week. I still believe that rest days from running is important, but I should do other things like walk more, swim, bike, play with my dog, use wii fit, or anything to just get in some more cardio every day.
- Get educated - My running store has running seminars about all kinds of things like natural running (pose method) or proper nutrition. I want to start attending events like these and reading up on running/health books. I'd love to feel like more of health and fitness blogger rather than someone who likes running and I feel like a big part of that is knowing your stuff.
I'm sure I'll think of more, but for now I'd say they are pretty big goals, but ones that I can be excited about.
QOTD: Do you have big health and fitness goals you are working towards? What are they?